The new technology that broadens the applications of CBN wheels, increases the wheels life and provides higher surface quality.
AEROBOR®- is a new range of vitrified CBN wheels featuring extra-high porosity with controllable pore size.
The wheels are produced with ceramic bodies for grinding at speeds up to 60 m/s, and with metal bodies - up to 150 m/s. The CBN layer can be either solid or segmented. The wheels are produced of different shapes and dimensions. Customized manufacturing is possible as well.
Porosity is a characteristic of AEROBOR wheels and is recommended by the manufacturer on the basis of customer's application parameters.
Pore structure provides a space for metal microchips being removed. However, due to the small size of natural pores, they are effective in light grinding conditions only when microchips are too small. In heavy grinding conditions, especially in creep-feed grinding and in processing of high-ductile materials (Ni-/Ti- heat-resistant and non-ferrous alloys), when sizes and volumes of metal chips considerably increase, natural pores become less efficient. Metal chips under pressure in the contact zone tend to stick to the wheel surface, make the wheel loaded, that decreases the cutting ability and shorthens the wheel life. AEROBOR wheels makes it possible to eliminate this disadvantage of traditional CBN vitrified wheels.
AEROBOR wheels have more open porous structure with the larger size and greater number of pores. Extra-high porosity is created in order to:
- increase the intergranular space and to surround almost every CBN grain with their own pore for the metal chips being removed;
- better coolant access (or airflow - in dry grinding) into the contact zone of the wheel and ground component brought centrifugally through the communicating pores.
- Elimination of burns and cracks
- Elimination of wheel loading
- Up to 40% decrease in grinding time
- Longer wheel life
Application Areas ®
- Grinding of ductile steels and alloys: heat-resistant, stainless steels and others steels (40-50 HRc)
- Grinding of profiles with limited access of coolant
- Grinding of hardened steel and chilled cast iron shafts
- Grinding of bearing screws
- Profile grinding of shanks of turbine blades,
- Chip-flute grinding, creep-feed grinding
- Dry grinding (and sharpening)
Structure of a traditional (a) and high-porous (b) CBN vitrified wheel:
1 - CBN grits; 2 - pores; 3 - bond.
Test-cases of AEROBOR vitrified CBN wheels
Dry grinding of HSS hob:
1D1 80*10*16*5*2 40o LKV50 B91 100 CM2 KC10 KF16
V=27 m/sec, nD=16 min-1, t=0,05-0,02 mm
Applying of AEROBOR wheel has totally eliminated metal burns and has led to 38% decrease in machining time and has reduced the number of dressings by 60%.
Grinding of chilled grey iron:
Grinding parameters: V=60 m/s, coolant: emulsion
Using AEROBOR wheel provides stable shape and dimensions of cam shafts, absence of burning and required surface finish, ànd as a result 20%-average cost saving and 15%-increase in productivity.
Grinding of heat resistant alloys:
1A1 150 x 10 x 5 x 32 LKV50 B126 C100 M VS10 KF16
V=35 m/s, VS=1,5-0,5 m/min, t=0,04-0,2 mm, coolant: 5% emulsoin
AEROBOR wheel retains free-cutting ability at any cutting depth. The wheel does not become metal-glazed, burns are eliminated. High-porous wheel’s G-ratio is 30-40% higher in comparison with traditional vitrified CBN wheel.
6A1 50x32x22,2x5x32x17 LKV50 B126 C150 S2 KF16
Results of grinding with AEROBOR wheel instead of two wheels: CBN electorplated and conventional abrasive (WA) wheel:
- 58%-reduction of processing time;
- the operation was carried out with one wheel;
- considerable noise reduction;
- elimination of crack appearance on the ground surface
surface quality improvement.
Example of grinding wheel marking
AEROBOR 1D1 500x13x305x10 LKV50 106/90 ST1 100 50
The optimal wheel specification is recommended based on the application details, provided by the Customer.